Contact lenses are a convenient and discreet alternative to glasses. However, because they come in direct contact with your eyes, they require a very specific care routine to prevent contamination and infection. Read on for tips about keeping your contacts clean and your eyes healthy:
- Wash your hands. Before touching your eyes or your contacts, always wash your hands to remove any bacteria or dirt. To avoid getting residue in your eyes, use soap that is unscented and free of moisturizer.
- Clean your lenses. After you take out your contact lenses, clean them by rubbing them in contact solution in the palm of your hand or by letting them soak in their case in no-rub solution.
- Don’t rinse with water. Though you may be tempted to rinse your contacts with tap water, don’t do it. Water contains microscopic contaminants that could cause an eye infection. Instead, always use sterile contact lens solution, which is designed to keep contacts disinfected better than water ever could.
- Clean your lens case. Your contact lenses spend a lot of time in their case, especially if you don’t wear them every day, so this environment needs to be as sterile as possible. On a regular basis, rinse each compartment of the case with hot water and allow it to air dry before refilling it with contact lens solution.
- Don’t sleep in contacts. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, never sleep with your contacts on. When your eyes are closed, tears cannot circulate oxygen around the lenses like they can when you’re awake. This could result in painful damage to your eyes.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions. Above all, follow your optometrist’s guidelines for wearing and cleaning your contact lenses. Only a professional knows exactly what you should and should not do to keep your eyes healthy and your vision clear.
Wize Eyes offers a wide variety of contact lenses in many styles, so you’re sure to find a pair that suits your lifestyle. Schedule an eye exam at one of our Long Island stores by calling (516) 358-0040.